Wednesday, September 2, 2015

245/365

The definitions of words are so funny to me. I've had multiple teachers talk about how we, as a society, invented the meanings of words. We have decided that glum is synonymous with sad and the same for delighted and happy. We know that those things, though perhaps varying in some degree, are fairly equal. I don't have problems with this really; I just feel like some words could be positive, despite their assumed negativity. 
)(: )(Lonesome, for example, is a variation of lonely. Lonely, according to the first definition that comes up on Google, means "sad because one has no friends or company." It also can mean "without companions; solitary." In my opinion, the second definition is more fitting for lonely and, in connection, lonesome. To be lonesome is to be alone and I don't like that we associate that with sadness, meaning something bad. 

Being lonesome or lonely does not have to be bad. We think it is. When I think of lonely, I think of people in romcoms that are looking for "the one." I'm not sure where I'm going with this, but I'd like to tell people that I'm lonely without it being synonymous with me being sad. I can be lonely and not sad and I can be surrounded by companions and be sad. Why do I have to be sad when I'm alone? Why does lonely have to mean sad?

catch you later,
Karleigh

"To define is to limit." // Oscar Wilde

No comments:

Post a Comment