Friday, May 1, 2015

121/365

I really miss movie rental places. When I was eleven or twelve, right around the time my mother retired, we were learning what we had in common. My mom has always been my best friend, but we didn't get to spend a lot of time together for the first ten years of my life. After she retired, we were kinda starting at the beginning. We both have this insane passion for movies, especially the kinda weird ones. 

There was this Blockbuster in the town next to mine that we frequented and it had this giant book of actors and the films they had been in. We must have rented so many movies from there. Every time we would rent one and find an actor we liked, we'd look them up in the book and find the movies. Sometimes they were really weird or kinda gross. Sometimes they were really
amazing; the kinda movies that stuck with me for a long time.


I can't remember the first time that I saw Stand By Me. I remember really loving it though. That was about the time when I didn't have a lot of friends and I relied on the people of books and movies as my companions. It's a bit silly to think about now, but I really liked movies like this one.

Today, Ben E. King passed away. He's known for singing the song Stand By Me, to go with the film. I was really upset when I found out that he passed away. Almost as much as when I realized that River Phoenix had passed away after I had seen this movie. You can learn a lot of lessons from movies, and you can learn a ton from this film. In honor of King and Phoenix, you should go give it a watch this weekend.

catch you later,
Karleigh

"I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?" // the writer, Stand By Me

No comments:

Post a Comment