Monday, May 4, 2015

124/365

A few months ago, a friend of mine told me the line up for this year's Memphis in May (or Beale Street Music Festival, if you'd rather) and I quickly notified her that we would be there. I love live music, and I will usually go somewhere just because there is live music. You remember when we discussed Hozier? Well, he was there. And Ed Sheeran, too. Obviously, my tiny butt had to make my way to Memphis as well. 

On Sunday morning, after I went to church, I drove to my friend's house and then we began our trip to Memphis. Now, I don't know if you've ever been to a music festival. It's like... it's the best and worst atmosphere ever. Hozier didn't play until 7 and Ed was after him. We got there around three thirty and, after purchasing some water and making a slightly sad use of the port-a-potties, we made our way to the stage where these guys would be. There was some awful Polish band playing and I think everyone listening to them was just horribly bummed by how terrible they were. All of their songs were in Polish as well, so that really didn't help their case. 

During the time that the Polish band played and then another band played after them, we shifted a fair bit and got closer to the front. I saw people much younger than me mistaking vodka for water. Just so you guys know, vodka and water aren't the same. They are both clear, but they don't hydrate you the same. Perhaps they should teach that in high school, because a lot of people got really tired very quickly yesterday. While it was super hot and we were all very close together, it was still a very poor decision to drink vodka to keep you hydrated. 

Beyond the drug/alcohol usage that happened around us, we made a few friends and got to talking to some folks from places like Ohio and Arkansas. Pretty neat. Hozier was super amazing live. He doesn't really seem like the musician to keep you entertained, more like a guy to play in the background while you do stuff, but he was so into the music and so was the crowd. So many people knew his stuff and sang along. It was really beautiful. He sang a lot of songs off of his album, like "Work Song," "From Eden" and "It Will Come Back," which were all super incredible.  Later, Ed came out and he told us about visiting Graceland and he sang an Elvis song. I'm a huge Elvis fan so this was a big deal to me. It was so ridiculously fun and hot -- a really incredible experience, I think.

If you ever need to schedule time to chill before you have a ton of finals to study for, go see one of your favorite bands live. You definitely won't regret it. I have to get back to my physical science stuff now.

catch you later,
Karleigh

"Heaven and hell were words to me." // "Work Song", Hozier

No comments:

Post a Comment