Tuesday, May 12, 2015

132/365

I like to measure my life in chapters. Chapters are a great use to me, because sometimes you have to call on past chapters and sometimes events from past chapters rear an ugly head again. Chapters work for me. As it so happens, -- and as you were probably confused as to what I was going on about -- I'm finishing up a small chapter in my life. I say small but this has really been one of the most impactful times in my life. When you turn twenty, it seems like your life should be in a sort of order, that you should know what you want to do and with whom you want to do it. Actually, it's not like that at all. Being twenty is a lot like being a squirrel in the road while a car is coming. You just keep going from side to side because it's unclear which way will help you out (i.e. save you) the fastest. 

My two years at a community college was the biggest learning experience that I've had thus far. I
started it off with people who weren't really my friends, then I made new friends who ended up on a different path than me, and I ended my time with some people that I hope I never leave behind. It took me a long time to like myself and while I was at school, I learned who I think that I am and who I think I want to be and I like both of those things. I like the path that I'm on. I feel like a completely different person than the girl that I was last summer.

As you grow up, you naturally shed layers. Who you are at five is different than who you are at fifteen and is different than who you are at twenty five. I have a ton of learning and growing to do and, as I end this chapter, I look forward to beginning the new ones. Twenty feels old sometimes, but it's so, so young. There are so many new things to see and to do. I'm finally learning that sitting at home and waiting for fun things to happen and for people to come to me isn't what life is about. Life is about going outside and embracing the unfamiliar. It's about stepping out of your comfort zone. If there is one thing that I will always love my community college for, it will be that this school taught me how to embrace absolutely everything. Everything you experience is personal growth, so you better start growing.

catch you later,
Karleigh

“And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.” // Anaïs Nin

No comments:

Post a Comment