Saturday, May 16, 2015

136/365

There comes a point in life when you meet other people and set aside your own beliefs in an effort to understand the minds of others. There is a complexity in the mind. We are so completely complex and no matter the differences that we might find between us, there will always be a point of singularity. You may always find an area of common ground. 

I watched The Theory of Everything, which is a film about the life of Stephen Hawking. You don't hear a lot about Hawking now, though I remember him being talked about when I was younger. Either way, Stephen Hawking, if you don't know, is a very famous physicist. He's done quite a bit of research on time and black holes. He searched for the beginning of the universe, a single point where one could identify the exact beginning of time. 

I'd like to say I enjoy science; I often wish that I did. It's not really my area of expertise, but I finished the film really feeling the need to read Hawking's books. They're probably too complex for me, but it would be nice to read them just for the excess knowledge. I think it's very easy to dislike him due to his alternate beliefs, but you must acknowledge the sheer knowledge that Hawking possesses. There is really no argument against his brain; even ancient philosophers know that math is a point with which you cannot argue. 

Besides Hawking's incomparable knowledge, I really left the film in awe of Jane Hawking. She was literally one of the strongest ladies that I've ever seen in film -- and she's a real person and not just a figment of someone's imagination. It really makes you think of all of the women who do just what she did and haven't the ability to write novels about their experience. Halfway through the film, my mother leaned over and said, "Wouldn't it be wonderful to love and care for someone so intelligent?" It made me really want to read Jane's novel on her life with Hawking. Perhaps I'll add it to my summer reading list.
 
catch you later,
Karleigh
 
"...[W]ithout imperfection, neither you nor I would exist.” // Stephen Hawking

No comments:

Post a Comment