Saturday, May 30, 2015

150/365

Today is the thirtieth of May and I believe that it is my grandmother's birthday. DI, as I called her, was the love of my life for the entire first half of my life. She met me two days after my birth and we were close ever since. She was the youngest of seven and wanted to be a hairdresser. At her father's insistence, she was a secretary instead and met my grandfather in Memphis. 

I was really young when I knew my grandmother so I didn't get to spend a ton of time with her or make a large list of memories, but I do have some stuff. She took me to watch how molasses was made once. She went to the beach with me. She cooked for me all the time and then got mad when I wanted fried bologna instead.
I think a lot of the time we can forget how important someone is to us until they are gone. I remember the last time I saw my grandmother and told her about getting As on my report card. That seems a bit trivial, but I kinda wish now that I could go into the kitchen and show her all of the stuff that I've collected from school. I wish I could just sit beside her and watch The Cosby Show or make biscuits. I wish that I had just a few more minutes, just to tell her how much I love her and how much I appreciate her because I didn't know how to do that when I was ten years old. 

My grandmother was always on my side. She loved my hair in a ponytail and buying me toys. She loved to cook for me, even when I didn't eat it. She loved me a whole bunch and now I wish that I could tell her that I love her just as much. 



catch you later,
Karleigh

"The very old and the very young have something in common that makes it right that they should be left alone together. Dawn and sunset see stars shining in a blue sky; but morning and midday and afternoon do not, poor things.” // Elizabeth Goudge

No comments:

Post a Comment