Sunday, June 26, 2016

June 26, 2016

Cambridge
Gone are the days of play-by-plays. To be honest, my last few days have been full of finishing up my tutorials, getting my hotel in London all settled for the coming weekend, and building up the homesickness which I've not really felt this whole time. The homesickness isn't really a homesick feeling... more of an I-absolutely-hate-to-leave-Oxford-but-good-God-I-miss-my-mother feeling. I think I only miss her so much now because I missed her birthday. On the 21st of June, she had her birthday and I didn't get to call her but I did get to do one better, I think. I contacted a lady that leaves her son with Mother and she helped me organize a surprise. My mother received some of the most beautiful flowers for her birthday and I'm so thrilled that I could surprise her with such a sweet happy. She told me she loved them and we exchanged many excited texts. I really wish I could show her around Oxford.

The rest of the week was really full of me finishing up my final essay for my tutorial. My third essay, according to my tutor, was my best work. He was super generous with that grade and then on the final essay, we discussed Hemingway's fragile masculinity. It was a great topic to write on but not the most organized. I received As on both of these essays. Overall, I think the tutor experience at Oxford is unlike any other. I crave the one-on-one relationship with a member of faculty, with whom I can discuss all educational topics. I don't think there are really any downfalls to the program; I feel like I've been truly educated and I cannot complain about my tutor as he was amazing.
 
On Thursday night, we attended Pub Quiz Night at the Old Black Horse, which is a pub in Cowley. It's a tiny place, built in the 17th century. I met a local builder, that is a construction man, who called me gorgeous, kissed my hand and was already three sheets to the wind at 8pm. My local friend had to ward him off but overall, I cannot tell you a bad thing about the place. Pubs generally serve food, but this place is majority drinks. My friend works there and he made a really great iced coffee. The girls were pretty good at trivia -- with the group name, Little Women. Quiz night wasn't exactly what we expected but it was laugh all around. We were gifted with a potato peeler and a mixed CD of love songs -- that's cause we had the lowest scores. Quite hilarious. 

On Saturday, we took a group trip to Cambridge, or as Oxford students call it: "The Other Place." Reminds me of another place I know... Oh yeah, TSUN. I've never really understood school rivalries, but there's is just as strong as the one I'm used to. Cambridge is quaint; very relaxed and had the cutest place called Henrietta's Tea Rooms where I had my first English Afternoon Tea. It was so good. Oh my gosh, I could drink tea and eat cucumber sandwiches and scones for the next sixty years and never be tired of it. The scones had sultanas baked in and they're like... heavier and sweeter biscuits -- definitely not the flaky homemade ones I'm used to. And they put clotted cream on it, which is like super super whipped cream, like almost butter but still not. And then a jelly, usually like strawberry. They were so good. I smothered them in the cream and jelly because that's the only way this girl knows how to eat a biscuit. And there were little sandwiches, one was cheese and red onion. Yep, apparently that's a popular combo and then cucumber and maybe cream cheese. That was the best one. I could have had at least seventeen more, let's be honest. And then on top of the three tiered display was a tiny key lime pie. It was good as well. Overall, it was amazing. Definitely something everyone should get to do. 

The school of Cambridge itself is where Isaac Newton studied and apparently where he first began studying the speed of sound. Does that mean anything to you? Me neither -- he totally should have done this at Oxford. Then his research would have really mattered. Just kidding, obviously Newton did cool stuff or something. Anyway, all in all, Cambridge is gorgeous. It's smaller feeling than Oxford, very sweet. I think Oxford still has my heart though.

I think Oxford will probably have my heart forever.
catch you later,
Karleigh

No comments:

Post a Comment