Wednesday, September 16, 2015

259/365

I'm really interested in creative writing. I enjoy writing and I want to take classes in it, but I'm always afraid that someone will read what I've written and let me know that it is crap and I've chosen the wrong major. I mean my major is English, but I have to specialize with something within the English department. Most people don't see English majors as creative writers. No, they see us much differently. The majority of people respond to my being an English major with: "Oh, well you look like/act like/would make a good teacher."

I do not like the idea that, to be an English major, I must end up teaching. I actually do want to teach, but that's beside the point. Do you know how many things I can do with my degree in English? A hell of a lot. I could work in publishing, editing, writing, law, and so much more. I recently thought about doing law, actually, but the group on my campus wasn't very organized and so it wasn't something that I wanted to pursue. I have thought about going into publishing, but at the end of the day I really just want to write and teach at a college. Most writers teach at universities, that's a fact. It's also a known fact that English majors tend to score higher on the LSAT, which is the test you have to take to get into law school. I told someone that recently and she had absolutely no clue. 

With the amount of time that I've been asked if I was going to teach, I feel that it's really important that you don't assume what someone is going to do with their degree. You can do anything that you want to do with nearly any degree. Don't assume that just because I'm an English major, that I'll be teaching a bunch of fourth graders how to break down sentences.
catch you later,
Karleigh
“When they asked me what I wanted to be I said I didn't know.” // Sylvia Plath, The Bell Jar 

No comments:

Post a Comment